You must read to fully understand all data protection measures we have adopted. By submitting your personal data to us by using our website and/or our services, we understand that you have accepted the terms of this Policy.
What personal data might we collect?
We collect different types of personal data for different reasons – this may include:
Contact information: Information such as your name, job title, postal address, home address where you provide this to us, business address, telephone number, mobile number, fax number and email address.
Business details: Business information which we necessarily process for the projects we are involved in or otherwise provided by you voluntarily.
Preferences: Information about your preferences, where it is relevant to the services we provide.
When do we collect your personal data?
We may collect personal data about you in various cases, such as for example:
- When you or your organisation make an enquiry through our website, in person, over email or over the telephone;
- When you attend events organized by us, or sign up to receive communications from us;or
- When you or your organisation provide services to us, or otherwise offer to do so.
In some circumstances, we may collect personal data about you from third parties – for example, we may collect personal data from your organisation, other organisations with whom you have dealings including government agencies, an information or service provider or from a publicly available record.
How will we use your personal data?
We will use your personal data for the following purposes (“Permitted Purposes”):
- For us to act as an information sharing platform on Hong Kong divorce procedure and related matters;
- For compliance with our legal obligations (such as record keeping obligations), which may include automated checks of your contact data or other information you provide about your identity and contacting you for compliance purposes;
- To analyse and improve our services and communications to you;
- To protect the security of and managing access to our premises, IT and communication systems, online platforms, websites and other systems, preventing and to detect security threats, fraud or other criminal or malicious activities;
- For insurance purposes;
- To monitor and assess compliance with our policies and standards;
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and requests anywhere in the world, including reporting to and/or being audited by national and international regulatory, law enforcement and tax reporting bodies;
- On instruction or request from your organisation;
- To communicate with you through the channels you have approved to keep you up to date on the latest legal developments, announcements, and information about any events and or projects we may organize; and
- For any purpose related and/or ancillary to any of the above or any other purpose for which your personal data was provided to us.
Where you have expressly given us your consent, we may process your personal data also for the following purposes:
- For customer surveys, marketing campaigns, market analysis, contests or other promotional activities or events; or
- To collect information about your preferences to create a user profile to personalise and foster the quality of our communication and interaction with you (for example, by way of newsletter tracking or website analytics).
With regard to newsletters, legal updates and other general communications, we will - where legally required - only provide you with such information if you have opted in. You have the opportunity to opt out of receiving such communications at any time. We will not use your personal data for taking any automated decisions affecting you or creating profiles other than described above.
Depending on for which of the above Permitted Purposes we use your personal data, we may process your personal data on one or more of the following legal grounds:
- To comply with our legal obligations; or
- Because processing is necessary for purposes of our legitimate interest or those of any third party recipients that receive your personal data, provided that such interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
We may also process your data based on your consent where you have expressly given that to us.
How will we share your personal data?
We may share your personal data in the following circumstances:
- We may share your personal data with any third party to whom we assign or novate any of our rights or obligations;
- We may share your personal data with courts, law enforcement authorities, regulators or attorneys or other parties where it is reasonably necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim, or for the purposes of a confidential alternative dispute resolution process;
- We may also instruct service providers domestically or abroad to process personal data for the Permitted Purposes on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions only. We will retain control over and will remain fully responsible for your personal data and will use appropriate safeguards as required by applicable law to ensure the integrity and security of your personal data when engaging such service providers; and
- We may also use aggregated personal data and statistics for the purpose of monitoring website usage in order to help us develop our website and our services.
We will otherwise only disclose your personal data when you direct us or give us permission to do so, when we are required by applicable law or regulations or judicial or official request to do so, or as required to investigate actual or suspected fraudulent or criminal activities.
Can you refuse to share your personal data with us?
In general, we receive your personal data where you provide this on a voluntary basis, and there will typically be no detrimental effect for you if you wish not to provide this or otherwise withhold your consent for it to be processed. However, there are certain cases where we will unfortunately be unable to act without receiving such data, for example where we need such data to provide you with our online services or communications.
Where it is not possible for us to provide you with what you request without the relevant personal data, we will let you know accordingly.