HomeQ&AsCan I Receive Spousal Support In Hong Kong?

Can I Receive Spousal Support In Hong Kong?

The Hong Kong Family Court will determine your ability to receive or pay spousal support (or “maintenance” as it’s called in Hong Kong) after weighing the following factors:

  1. Income, earning capacity, property and financial resources now and in the foreseeable future
  2. Financial needs, obligations and responsibilities
  3. Standard of living enjoyed by the family prior to the breakdown of the marriage
  4. Age of each party and the duration of the marriage
  5. Physical or mental disability of either of the parties
  6. Contributions made by each party to the welfare of the family including taking care of the family
  7. Value to either of the parties of any benefit which that party will lose as a result of the breakdown of the marriage
  8. Conduct and all circumstances of the case

While you wait for the Family Court to decide on maintenance, you can apply to the Family Court for interim maintenance (or “maintenance pending suit”) which is helpful when you have to pay bills and pay for expenses while waiting for a final determination.

Changed status to publish
Add a Comment

0 Answers